Someone asked me this question recently
“How much time should I spend on content creation vs distribution”
It’s a great question and something all content marketers think about.
The reality is that you can’t do one EPIC and one average. You have to kick behind on both creation and distribution fronts.
Unfortunately the old school idea of “If I write epic content, readers will come” is not true anymore. There is a lot of content out there and it’s hard to grab readers attention.
So how do you create EPIC content!
Short answer: Value, Value & more Value
Long answer: Think about the “WHY”…. Why are you writing this piece of content? Why should readers care about it? People go to the internet to get education, information and entertainment so provide them that with your content. BUILD RELATIONSHIPS and sales will come.
Don’t forget to follow the best SEO practices and be visual.
Now let’s talk about content distribution
Think about all the places your target audience is at and find a way to put your content there. If you are a blogger, here is a short checklist of distribution strategies that you can test.
- Share on all of your social media channels
- Share multiple times on Twitter
- Send an email blast (if you have an email list)
- Repurpose your content on platforms like LinkedIn, Medium & Scoop.it
- Create a video of your content and publish on YouTube
- Create awesome looking slides and post on SlideShare
- If you mentioned any influencers in your content, reach out to them. Use this FREE Bulk Email Finder Tool to find their email addresses for the outreach campaign.
- If you have Ads budget, use Facebook Ads to amplify your reach & engagement
- Add your content to community websites like Quora, Reddit or GrowthHackers
Sure, you may not be able to do everything, but do what you can and with the resources & budget that you have. BUT never think that creating EPIC content is enough. Its NOT. Always test everything that you read and see what works and what doesn’t.
So IMHO its 50/50. Spend 50% of your time on creating EPIC content and then 50% making sure you distribute it at the right places.